Wednesday, January 24, 2007

A Political Post (which I promised myself I wouldn't do again)

"Our next President must be able to restore our standing in the world and I believe I'm the best candidate to do that. As someone who has successfully negotiated with some of the world's toughest tyrants, I know face-to-face diplomacy can work. To become a respected international leader again, we need a national security policy that is tough and smart, a military second to none, a firm commitment to building diplomatic alliances, we need to defeat terrorism, and that's our number one national security challenge, we need to promote freedom, alleviate poverty, and stop global warming." - Bill Richardson

John Kerry announced today that he's not running for president, which was a surprise to no one. After his defeat, people seem to forget just how close the election actually was, how nearly we rid ourselves of Bush and all that he and his ilk have wrought.

John Edwards is running, however. I fear that his campaign will be marked by the failure to win in '04, and although he seems like a genuinely nice guy with some good ideas, I don't think he has the gravitas to pull off the presidency.

The front runners, Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, are still too inexperienced for the job. My hesitation has nothing to do with gender or race, but with their lack of track time. What little I know of Hillary I dislike, largely because of her 180-degree turn from liberal to centrist and support for the war, which make me question what, if anything, she truly believes, or if she's just another ambitious political pro. And Barack has no track record at all, no foreign policy experience. A good speaker and an interesting man, but I like to know a little more before about a candidate before he (or she) gets my vote.

On the other hand, Joe Biden has too much experience, is too "Washington," for me. A good man to have in the Senate, where he's been for 33 years, but not in the White House. Sorry, Joe.

Kucinich and Vilsack have funny names, and although they would be fun to blog about, I'm not going to vote for either one.

Christopher Dodd is too white, and Mike Gravel (who?) is too old.

So that leaves Bill Richardson. Richardson has experience in the House and as a Governor, just the right mix of Federal and State experience and the right amount of tenure (more than Hillary and Barack, but not as much as Biden). International experience: he was a U.S. ambassador to the United Nations. National experience: he was Secretary of Energy. Immigration: he's Hispanic and he's governed a Border State.

Well, that's it then: Water Dissolves Water officially announces its endorsement of Bill Richardson for the President of the United States of America!

I just hope he doesn't do anything stupid now.

3 comments:

GreenSmile said...

The Agonist tossed up a little poll and oddly enough, Gore got the nod, just walking away from every other name.

Not sure what to make of it.

Jamie said...

I don't think Bill will win for the fact that he is Hispanic. I think the country right now would rather see a black man instead of a Hispanic man because of our messy border situation.

But that's my opinion based purely on race.

Anonymous said...

Democrats and Republicans are just
two sides of the same coin. Don't
be a sucker and fall for that old good-cop-bad-cop routine.

Instead, consider voting for the only
libertarian in Congress: Ron Paul.

Although disguised as a Republican,
he's far from being one.

See for yourself.