Saturday, July 22, 2006

Magic Eye

According to the authoritative Oliver Sacks, random-dot stereograms, or "Magic Eye" pictures, are constellations of dots with no images that can be seen monocularly, but which reveal images or shapes when viewed with both eyes. This illusion may take some practice, and many people, even with normal binocular vision, are not able to "get it." But often, as one continues to gaze, a strange sort of turbulence appears among the dots, and then a startling illusion - an image, a shape, whatever - will suddenly appear far below, or far above, the plane of the paper. "Getting these illusions," Dr. Sacks writes,

"is the purest test of stereoscopic vision. It is unfakable, for there are no monocular cues whatsoever; it is only by stereoscopically fusing thousands of seemingly random points as seen by the two different eyes that the brain can construct a three-dimensional image."

These Magic Eye pictures were popular in the 90s, and I find the process of "seeing" the three-dimensional image quite analogous to Zen awakening. It requires some practice, and there's a bit of technique that goes along with seeing them - relaxing; looking at the image, but with the eyes not focused on the paper, but somewhere else; and allowing the image to emerge, to come to you. You can't "force" it.

I remember the first time I saw one. A young woman in our office had an 8-1/2 x 11 cardboard sheet with a seemingly abstract pattern on it. Several people looked at it, first holding the sheet near their nose then slowly moving it away, and then, all of a sudden, "Aha! I see it!," they would exclaim.

I gave it a try. I aped the same technique that I had seen, sheet first at the tip of my nose, then moved gradually away. But try as I might, I was not able to "see" the image that made everyone else gasp out loud.

Now this, unfortunately, is the state in which many new Zen practioners find themselves. They sit cross-legged, or kneeling on a cushion, facing the wall, eyes slightly open, head tilted down, counting their breaths as they breathe through their nose, but nothing happens. Some keep trying; others give up. And some try to fake it.

As I stood there in my old office, although I was unable to "see" the image, I did hear certain verbal cues from my co-workers that gave me a pretty good idea of what the illusion was like. "It's a woman!," one person announced upon perceiving the image. "She's got big boobs," she observed, and someone else added, "Yeah, really big boobs."

So I knew that it was a picture of a woman, I knew that the depicted woman had really large breasts, and I knew that the picture was observed in some sort of three-dimensional aspect. And although I had not myself experienced the illusion, I could very easily have, were I so inclined, taken the picture to others, taught them the "technique" for seeing the illusion ("first hold the picture close to your nose, then slowly move it away, keeping your eyes in soft focus"), and then confirmed with them whether or not they saw an image of a large-breasted woman. As I learned more and more particulars of the details of the image from those who were able to see it, I could even quiz my "students" to test if they had really seen the illusion, or if they were just faking it (like myself).

Not that I did any such thing. I never did see that particular illusion, but as the "Magic Eye" pictures got more and more popular during that decade, I was able to eventually see the images for myself, and not have to rely on the descriptions of others.

Sitting on the cushion, mind in deep samadhi, we occasionally have these similar "Aha!" moments, glimpses under the tent, as it were, of the nature of reality. But it takes time, it takes patience and it takes some technique. The technique can be taught, in fact, it has been passed down from the Buddha himself through 2,500 years of teachers and patriarchs, but the direct experience itself can not be taught. It must be experienced, realized, first hand.

The so-called "teachings" written in countless "Zen" books and the subject of untold numbers of lectures and talks, and even posted in this blog, are not the "experience" of Zen any more than the words "It's a woman with huge boobs" is the same as the actual experience of "seeing" the illusion. Put another way, as Shohaku Okumura once said, after years of studying academic Buddhism at the University, he got tired of "reading recipes," and wanted to taste the food itself.

So "teaching" Zen is nothing more than sharing the technique of meditation (posture, breathing, attitude) and encouraging the continuation of practice. And practice, as Dogen repeatedly stated, is enlightenment.

2 comments:

GreenSmile said...

"The technique can be taught, in fact, it has been passed down from the Buddha himself through 2,500 years of teachers and patriarchs, but the direct experience itself can not be taught. It must be experienced, realized, first hand."

I was trying to lead my study group in a discussion of the second lecture in William James' The Varieties of Religious Experience. I was at odds with what I took to be James' methodical exclusion of Buddhism from the scope of his discussion but wiser people were playing student to my teacher. It was pointed out to me that the first thing James did was toss out all organized and externally instilled religion and that experience, which is intrinsically individual, was what brought one to the point of religious insights and feelings. His use of Christianity as an example of positive attitudes towards life, I was reminded, was only an example and not the only experience that could produce a cheerful acceptance of our limitations rather than a grudging resignation. I still don't quite see it that way because some notion of hope lingers in James' characterization of the ideal [christian] religious experiences. In the moments when I catch myself in the possession of hope, I see it as a kind of clinging...some cleaner state than hopefulness would seem the higher goal.

NickSab said...

Friday, my co-worker friend Rod did a show and tell. His aging mother is giving away family heirlooms and had recently given him a collection of family photos. But not just any photos: his dad had taken hundreds of color stereo photographs. Rod was given all of the photos and the equipment. (The photos are side-by-side slides. The viewer is similar to the old ViewMasters, but one photo at a time.)

He was passing the viewer to a few of us gathered around his desk, and we were just entranced. Images of his 50's childhood, brought to life in vivid 3d color. The color is what amazed him. We're used to seeing black and white photos of that era.

Reflections in windows were particularly interesting to me. You don't tend to pay attention to them in 2d photos, but they were so hyper-real that I got caught up in them.

When I got home, I spent time online researching 3d photography, as well as stereograms. Saturday and Sunday I was experimenting with my own 3d photographs (using my regular camera and Photoshop).

The point I'm getting to is this: It's an amazing coincidence to me that at about the same time you were writing about stereograms, I was reading and experimenting with them. Synchronicity.

How do I interpret this occurrence? I think it's simply evidence that we have overlapping interests, and we happened to hit on it simultaneously. My world view doesn't include attributing meaning to something like this, but the non-rational side of my brain gets a kick out of it anyway.