Saturday, July 15, 2006

Buddhas On Jet Skis

Sometimes I wonder what the point of blogging is. It seems that the more months that I blog, the less that I feel I can talk about.

Right from the beginning, I knew better than to blog about my job - there is no surer path to the unemployment line than blogging what you really think about your boss, your co-workers and your clients: even if you love them all, tongues start wagging when names and specifics get posted on line. So there's 8 to 10 hours a day of my life that are off-limits to this blog.

I cannot, or will not, blog specifically about The Project That Shall Not Be Named, for fear of Googling monkeys coming here looking for specific information about The Project, and misunderstanding the relation that all of the other content has to do with it. But two meetings on The Project, one Saturday and the other tomorrow, will dominate my time this weekend.

I'm not blogging about my topsy-turvy love life. I can't even say the reasons why (I started to several times, and kept deleting what I wrote. . . for reasons that I can't say).

I even find myself reluctant to talk about specifics of my Zen practice, or to mention my teacher or my teacher's teacher by name, lest a Google search leads someone to this site and that person thinks, say, that Buddhas on jet skis is what the teaching is all about.

So, in summary, since my career, The Project, my love life and my spiritual practice take up most of my conscious hours, what does that leave me to blog about? Only ideas - my thoughts on climate change, the Buddha-dharma, occasionally politics, adventuring news and so on or so forth (a list wearily familiar to regular readers of this blog).

So what am I doing on a jet ski? When were the pictures taken, and who is the boy riding with me and who is he waving to?

Sorry, I can't say.

The solution may be to create several different blogs - one about The Project and another about my spiritual life, an anonymous blog about my love life and another about thoughts, ideas, mental formations and abstractions. But what would that leave for Water Dissolves Water?

And who has time for that much blogging?

3 comments:

NickSab said...

Now that I'm trying to blog more frequently, I have the same dilemmas. There are things I'd like to share, but I don't for some of the same reasons you mention. I've been pondering an anonymous blog, but the notion leaves me feeling empty somehow.

GreenSmile said...

Shokai:
Does the feeling give rise to the thought or the thought give rise to the feeling?

GreenSmile said...

I started, at last count, about a dozen. Usually, my intention is to speak on a topic, with a consistent voice, to a particular audiance. its kinda like being a radio station and thinking you have to have a format or you won't have and audience.

If you really don't care about audience, don't have a hit counter, etc. then consistency only matters if you like to compartment your life for your own sake.

I pretty much neglect all the blogs that don't have a hitcounter...tells me more than I want to know about myself. certainly more than anyone else wants to know.