Monday, March 27, 2006

The Lanikai Canoe Club

Driving to the zendo this evening, it noticed that it was now lighter at that hour of the evening than it's been for a while, and by the light of the gloaming, I could see the azaleas and dogwoods blooming in the neighborhood. Spring has not yet quite arrived, but it is very, very near.

I've been getting emails from my Dad lately, which is a little disconcerting because he passed away last month. But back on March 6, I got an email from "Hart, Bill" titled "Like the Beatles? - incredible juggling!!!!" It took me a while to recognize it as spam, and it has an attachment I dare not open. I suppose that the name was just randomly generated, but it was a bit of a spooky coincidence to find this in my Inbox.

Now I don't want to get started on the whole "spooky action" and "synchronicity" theme again, but I've received more emails, which you may find interesting (at least, I certainly hope so for the sake of this blog entry). My late father's life partner has sent me several emails concerning details of the upcoming Memorial Service, this blog, et cet. However, emailing them as she does from what I guess is Dad's old computer, they arrive here bearing the Sender name "William Hart." The first one, on March 20, stated in the Subject line "From Terry," so at least it was more-or-less immediately apparent that a.) it wasn't more spam, and b.) the internet's not haunted.

On the latest email from "William Hart," dated March 26, Terry told me that she and Dad visited her son in Lanikai, Hawaii just before Dad passed away. On one of those days, they sat in beach chairs admiring the ocean view, when along came a rowing team (she sent me the picture above). The interesting thing is, Terry points out, if you look at my picture that I posted for the blog's "About Me" column, and have left up since May 2004, the logo on my t-shirt says "Lanikai Canoe Club." (I got the t-shirt from an ex-girlfriend, a Delta flight attendant who was born and raised in Hawaii.)

As synchronicities go, it might not be the strangest one you've experienced, but it's at least a little odd: I set up a blog with a picture of myself wearing a Lanikai Canoe Club t-shirt - and a prediction that I'm going to die at 79 - and my father and his partner take a picture of the LCC on one of his last days in this mortal coil, and I receive the picture in an email sent in his name a month after he passes away.

I also realize that Terry reads this blog, which is great, but I hope that this post doesn't make her too self conscious about writing again. I knew I should have set up this blog anonymously. . .

3 comments:

Kathleen Callon said...

Very interesting... "spooky" is good because it gets us thinking, wondering, hoping there is more.

"Spooky" stuff has been happening here, too, but I'm taking your advice.

Chris, my husband, grew up in Hawaii when he stayed with his mom. I've seen those boats. I think his mom was a captain/crew of them, but not 100% sure it was this company.

Kathleen Callon said...

Just in case, if you get a chance to ask her...

his mom's name is Barbara Finlayson. She has strawberry blonde hair, a slight build, and is a "free spirit".

She may not know her, but just in case there's a "spooky" connection, it would be interesting to know.

Anonymous said...

I like spooky, too. But, that is not the answer. It is simply one of economics. Verizon offers an opportunity to net-work if you have one or more computers and you are looking to change from dial up to DSL.

Dealing with grief is a major challenge and I have simply not arrived at the point of calling the telephone company and re-organizing the phone system.
I have my own computer, but since the phone lines were orginally listed in Bill's name, my e-mail is addressed as his "second" computer. Simple as that. No spooks involved. Perhaps Ryokan said it best.....Maple leaf
Falling down
Showing front
Showing back..

all is not what it may seem.....

Terry, a life partner....