Tuesday, January 17, 2006

My Internet connection has been down since Sunday evening, so I've missed a few days postings. And now Google's Blogger picture upload function isn't working, so I can't post any pictures. These might not all be bad things.

Things I was going to blog about:
  • Going to the airport the other day, I was running a little late so when I saw the "Lot Full" sign I despaired . . . until I saw that one of the gates was still open. Sensing that it was perhaps the height of folly, I entered the "full" lot anyway, and found the best airport parking spot of my life, perhaps the best in the airport - front row and at the end nearest the pedestrian walkway to the terminal. It was so good that I had to check twice to make sure it was legal. I actually hated to give it up when I got back home, and then I had to wait until someone else came along before I pulled out, because I wanted to share in their excitement of finding such an unbelievably prime parking spot.
  • My goddamn gas bill for the month of December arrived and it was for 490 goddamn dollars and 21 cents. However, since the usage occurred in 2005, it counts against my CO2 emission baseline. I also realized that I had forgotten to include my car in my baseline calculation, so my new baseline, considering the goddamn December gas bill and the miles that I drive, is now 77,829 pounds of CO2 a year. If I'm to reduce my emissions by 10%, my new goal is now 70,046 pounds per year. Since my old goal was to go down to 37,526 pounds, I've made significant progress in a George-Bush/Clear-Skies-Initiative sort of way (i.e., don't tighten the belt, raise the goal). If you decrease your expectations, your results will always improve.
  • I chipped a tooth over the weekend and had to go to the dentist today to get it fixed. The repair required a new crown ($1,000) and while he was at it, the dentist also filled a cavity in an adjacent molar ($70) and crowned that one too ($1,000). So it's only mid-January and I've already exhausted my deductible under my dental insurance and I still owe the dentist another $1,070.

So maybe it's just as well that I haven't been able to blog. At least the picture upload function is working now.

No comments: