Monday, January 30, 2006

Karma can be a real bitch.

But first, and more importantly, my father is making very good progress in his hospital in Hawaii. The ventilator tube is out and he's talking now. I think they're just holding him until the biopsy results are back.

But karma, as I was saying, is inescapable. I was confronted today by my office manager about a hole punched in an office wall. I immediately offered to make restitution and pay for any damages, and was told that the estimate was for $150. That made me so mad that I threw a chair through a window.

Just kidding. But one moment of loss of self control and bam!, a one-fifty fine. I should have known that incident would come back to haunt me. And worse yet, the manager wants me to think about how to publicly acknowledge my regret for the incident. "I usually resort to self-deprecating humor, but that's just my approach," he said, and told me to think about it for a day or two to come up with a solution.

Matsuoka Roshi, my teacher's teacher, used to say that when you thought angry thoughts, it was like a knife through water. "But when you speak out of anger, it's like a knife through sand - it leaves an imprint, but it can be smoothed over. But when you act out of anger, it is like a knife through granite - it leaves a lasting mark that can hardly ever be erased."

Yeah, sure, but he never deleted a spreadsheet, I'll bet.

Coming home, I found a summons for jury duty in the mail.

The good news was that it was Monday - my night to open the zendo. I got to attend to others as they sat in meditation, take my mind off of my little problems and try to actualize my bodhisattva vows and allow others to attain realization.

2 comments:

GreenSmile said...

one can lose control in rage or in joy. 20 years ago I worked at a struggling machine vision company that was having trouble paying the rent in a building it moved into under the illusion it had a great year coming up.
In a fit of exuberance at the offer of some chocolate chip cookies, a much more spry version of myself sprinted from my office toward the office where the cookies were offered. Thinking I could just make the corner by banking off the wall, I demonstrated why one should use 5/8 inch drywall. I was never asked about the hole in the wall. I was laid off within the month.

Kathleen Callon said...

I hope your father is OK.

Have you seen "What the bleep do we know?"? I think you will like it.