Monday, August 29, 2005

Katrina

Real transcript of actual over-the-air interview from Hurricane Katrina coverage:

SHEPARD SMITH: You're live on FOX News Channel, what are you doing?

MAN: Walking my dogs.

SMITH: Why are you still here? I'm just curious.

MAN: None of your fucking business.

SMITH: Oh that was a good answer wasn't it? That was live on international television. Thanks so much for that. You know we apologize.

[snip]

SMITH: I'm watching two dogs drink out of a glass of ice water, and it's none of my business why they are still here.
Update: It's now almost 7 p.m., and the rain of Katrina is coming down hard upon the City of Atlanta. I'm expecting the electricity to go out at any minute, possibly even while I'm typing this entry.

Some kind souls called me from the Zen Center earlier and said that they were hunkered down there for the night, and I didn't need to feel that I had to come by and open tonight. No one is likely to show up, given the weather.

Speaking of kindness, my broke-down television bestowed an act of kindness on me last night. I was resigned to it being out for a while, but even though "Six Feet Under" is no longer on, I had been hoping to catch the premier of the new HBO series, "Rome," last night. Plus the new episode of "Entourage" (HBO on Sunday nights is becoming what NBC once was on Thursday nights - "must-see t.v."). So, I gave the remote a tentative click at around quarter to nine, even though it hadn't worked the previous 20 times I had tried it, but this time, lo and behold, the picture came on! And I was able to watch my shows. The set worked fine . . . for about two hours, and then the picture went all out of whack. Now, the set seems completely dead. The technician's coming over Wednesday morning to check it out, but at least last night, it worked just long enough to allow me to watch my shows.

Thank you, inanimate electronic appliance.

Tonight, I don't really care whether the t.v. works or not - I will be thrilled if the lights just stay on long enough to let me finish this blog, make my supper, maybe read a little Faulkner and go to bed.

That's not really asking much.

Now I'm walking on sunshine (whoa oh)
I'm walking on sunshine (whoa oh)
I'm walking on sunshine (whoa oh)
And don't it feel good, hey!, all right now,
And don't it feel good, hey!, yeah!

- "Walking On Sunshine," Katrina And The Waves

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A real enlightening blog. Don't stop now. Here's the resolve a lot of people are searching for; psychic power about info on psychic power