Monday, July 11, 2005

A Near Miss


Well, it turns out that Hurricane Dennis missed Atlanta after all. Even though I had stocked up on milk and bread, reading materials and drinking water, for the 24 or so hours after the first rains came through on Saturday, Dennis was pretty much a non-event.

It was a near-miss. By the way, George Carlin hates that term - he says it should be "near-hit." If two planes came close together, it's a crisis because they nearly hit each other. Of course, it they do collide, (sympathetic voice) "Oh, and they nearly missed . . . "

Things got a little more interesting Sunday night. The rain started coming down harder and the winds picked up some, and around 12:30 a.m., I lost power. At least it waited until I was offline, and done watching television for the night. It's still out (I'm posting from the office) - I had to shower, shave and dress in the dark, and eat breakfast by the kitchen window. Of course, these are minor inconveniences compared to the folks in Florida who had to evacuate their homes, and are just returning now to flooding, storm damage and power outages.

Driving to work this morning, I saw a crew working on the power lines, so I expect that electricity will be restored by the time I get home. Otherwise, I'll be posting from here in the office again.

Postscript: The weather's taking a turn for the worse outside of my office; the rain's coming down in sheets and visibility's only a couple of hundred feet. The branches of the sycamore outside my window are whipping back and forth. Ironically, the best weather this morning was while I was getting up and driving to work.

No comments: