"I remember the ugly mood in Israel then — a mood in which extreme right-wing settlers and politicians were doing all they could to delegitimize Rabin, who was committed to trading land for peace as part of the Oslo accords. They questioned his authority. They accused him of treason. They created pictures depicting him as a Nazi SS officer, and they shouted death threats at rallies. His political opponents winked at it all. And in so doing they created a poisonous political environment that was interpreted by one right-wing Jewish nationalist as a license to kill Rabin — he must have heard, 'God will be on your side' — and so he did."
- The wild excess of money in politics;
- The gerrymandering of political districts, making them permanently Republican or Democratic and erasing the political middle;
- A 24/7 cable news cycle that makes all politics a daily battle of tactics that overwhelm strategic thinking;
- A blogosphere that at its best enriches our debates, adding new checks on the establishment, and at its worst coarsens our debates to a whole new level, giving a new power to anonymous slanderers to send lies around the world; and
- A permanent presidential campaign that encourages all partisanship, all the time, among our leading politicians.